Ruins of castles

History of the castle in Rytro

Initially, a wooden building was erected in the 13th century. It was a watchtower at the customs house on the Poprad River. The oldest brick part is a cylindrical tower from the end of the 13th century. Although it is not known to whom the castle was built. In the first half of the fourteenth century, the building was certainly the property of the kingdom.
King Władysław Łokietek, his daughter Elżbieta, Kazimierz Wielki and Queen Jadwiga were here. It is known from the records from 1580 that the castle was badly damaged. In the 1970s, archaeological and conservation works were carried out.
There are also stories about treasures connected with Rytro. Jan Długosz mentions his hiding, and apparently the Poor Clares from Stary Sącz showed him the testament of Piotr Wydźga, in which he informs about the hiding of gold in the castle. Of course, many were looking for treasures, but no one managed to do so.

The royal castle in Nowy Sącz

Dated 1350-1360, erected by Casimir the Great at the fork of two rivers: Dunajec and Kamienica. She could admire him, among others Queen Jadwiga. Jan Długosz stayed here in the 15th century. Unfortunately, the castle burnt down in 1522, but it was rebuilt in the 16th - 17th centuries in the Renaissance style. Successively destroyed by the Swedes. Rebuilt again, this time partly by the Austrian authorities during the partitions, to serve as a police office. Unfortunately, this is not the end of the unfortunate fate of the castle, in 1813 a flood washed the west wing, which fell to the Dunajec. In 1838 it was converted into a military barracks, and in 1846 the government sold the castle to the town. Partial reconstruction took place in 1905. In 1938, the Museum of the Sądecki Region was opened there, but due to the outbreak of the war it was completely destroyed by 1945. Finally, in 1959 it was reconstructed according to the plan from the 17th century.

Muszyna Tower

Muszyna "Baszta" built on a steep slope above the Poprad bend. Its creation dates back to 1390. It was then the residence of the episcopal starosts of the "Muszyna State" until 1474, when it was significantly damaged.
Its complete degradation took place during the partitions, where you can also find a mention of Italian stonemasons building a railway tunnel in Żegiestów, blowing up some of the walls in search of treasures. Only fragments of the walls have survived to modern times. Today, work is underway to expand the castle and restore it to its former glory. The commencement of works is planned for the nearest period, and its project can be seen on the websites of the Muszyna authorities and the local yearbook.